Data Science and Data MiningNareshIT Team
About Data Science and Data Mining
Data Science and Data Mining Definitions
- Data science is a data driven field that uses statistics, various processes to extract information from various resources.
- Data science deals with extracting helpful amount of information from large volumes of data.
- Its focuses on present and future patterns for decision making from extracted information.
- Gathered information would be in any form. Organizing gathered information is necessary to carry out analysis to get data insight.
- Getting hidden insight enable companies to make smarter decisions.
Facts about Data Science
- Data is not clean – While extracting information from large volumes of data, we might come across information which is not clean. Lot of chopping has to be done to make useful for analysis.
- Data science is a time consuming process and it takes huge amount of time to get information and prepare it for analysis process (where meaningful info would be extracted).
- Process of data science is not automated, you need to dig deep to get desired information for better decision making.
- Data scientists use various methods for getting data insights. For ex statistical, computational programs and other algorithms.
- Information presentation is very important. End users or decision makers don’t understand the complexity behind analysis process. Thus well presented information leads to better decision making.
- Data mining is the process of discovering patterns in large volumes o data. While working with big data analysis data mining helps in relationship among objects and data sets.
- Data mining is a subordinate of data science which help is predictive analysis for better decision making.
- Data mining process involves various processes like data cleaning, data integration, data transformation, data mining, pattern evolution and presentation.
- Data mining is used for predicting market trends by analyzing past information.
- Various tools of Data mining are available that could be used for market analysis, fraud detection, customer retention, production control etc.
Characteristics of Data Mining
- Data mining served the purpose of gathering useful information from various resources. Lots of procedures are carried out to improve data quality.
- Large volumes of data are gathered before mining process to make it clean and usable for better decision making.
- Data gathered is very complex and it’s not understandable. Complex nature of data makes data mining process a bit difficult.